Friday, April 17, 2015

Freshman to complete newswriting course
By Sawyer Hemsley
JCOM 1130/Section 2


Hannah Rose, a Utah State University freshman, is determined to finish and pass one of the rumored "hardest classes" at Utah State University: Beginning Newswriting for the Mass Media.

“It is not common to see a freshman enrolled in the beginning newswriting class,” said Sarah Keyes, a USU sophomore. “I think it is a lot of work to take on your freshman year, but you will gain a large amount of knowledge and have a really good learning experience.”

Rose is pursuing a degree in Public Relations and understands that newswriting is a required course that will help her advance within the major.

Professor LaPlante is known to intimidate students from the first day of class and rumors are common throughout campus in relation to his teaching antics and foul language.

“I was told he would make me cry, rip me apart and make me feel worthless,” Rose said. “Don’t worry, he definitely did."

Rose believes LaPlante’s scare tactics are out of love and he wants to see his students succeed.  

“I like how the class is focused on the principle of tough love,” Rose said. “It is hard, it is really hard. I have learned the value of becoming a better writer is well worth every tear shed over Matthew LaPlante and his grading scale.”

The course focuses on the techniques of writing news for various media and gives students the knowledge of elementary news gathering and interviewing skills.

“I see newswriting as a form of art," Rose said. “It has components I was unaware of before taking this course. I can identify leads, styles and importance factors as I read the newspaper.”

Rose encourages incoming freshmen to take the course early on, as she did. She is confident a student with a good worth ethic and willingness to learn course material will finish the class with a higher knowledge and appreciation for newswriting.

"Your life may be hell for a semester, but unlike other classes, you're actually getting the education you paid for,” Keyes said.


No comments:

Post a Comment