Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Freshmen talent shines at Luau
By Sawyer Hemsley
JCOM 1130/Section 2

Utah State University’s Polynesian Student Union, in collaboration with the Student Alumni Association, sponsored a luau that was held in the Taggart Student Center Tuesday evening. The event had more than 120 people in attendance.

Karen Caballero, a freshman spotlight at the event, displayed her cultural talents as she performed at the school-wide luau in hopes to stimulate more interested freshmen to join the PSU.

In past years, freshman performers have dwindled due to lack of interest, which Caballero hopes to change. She believes that through her example and willingness to perform she helped demonstrate the cultural opportunities the club has to offer.

“I would like to share my love for my culture with everyone at Utah State University,” Caballero said. "I want to help others gain the same respect I do for something that I hold so close to my heart.”

Although the luau was a lot more work then Caballero initially expected, participation in the event gave her the opportunity to gain leadership skills and build new friendships. She has hopes that student involvement will increase next year due to her efforts.

“I practiced multiple times a week with group members to be able to be well prepared," Caballero said. "I was not only in charge of learning several dances, but I offered my time to help decorate and set up for the event also.”

Caballero encourages anyone interested in participating in the club to visit the PSU office located on the third floor of the TSC to learn more information.

“Her bubbly personality and contagious laugh just makes my day,” said Julia Fie’eiki, a PSU club member. “She has done a lot for the club, and to see her have the desire to help the club involve more freshmen in the coming year is incredible.”

Fie’eiki described Caballero as determined and hardworking and is confident she will one day be a leader within the organization.


“She is an example to many,” Fie’eiki said. “I have no doubt that because of her performance and shining example she will be the reason the club will see more freshman recruits.”

No comments:

Post a Comment