Thursday, April 9, 2015

Student body president aims to recruit more freshmen on cabinet  
By Sawyer Hemsley
JCOM 1130/Section 2


Trevor Olsen, the newly elected student body president at Utah State University, will select a new presidential cabinet in the coming weeks that will aid him throughout the year. He is looking for outgoing, hardworking students that will dedicate their time and energy to improving student life at Utah State University.

Olsen is interested in selecting more freshmen than previous years and has hope they will bring “a fresh view to student activities and initiatives.”

Applications for the cabinet were released on Monday and are available to all university students seeking volunteer opportunities.

“I chaired President's Cabinet last year and I found that the freshman were among the most dedicated students," Olsen said. "That is one thing I have found across the board.”

Several activities that have been planned and executed by previous freshman members include the Miss USU pageant, the ‘Its On Us’ sexual assault campaign, and a school-wide dodge ball tournament.

“My freshman year participating within the cabinet has changed my life because I gained so many connections, a ton of confidence, and experiences that have shaped me into the leader I am today,” said Rachel Fresh, a freshman cabinet member.

Fresh explained that because she decided to become a member of the cabinet, many other involvement opportunities have been presented to her through other organizations.

“It has also given me so much experience for my future career and has taught me leadership skills I could not have learned in the classroom,” Fresh said.

London Breinholt, a freshman cabinet member, also shared her positive experiences that she had during this past year.

“It has launched me academically and socially,” Breinholt said. “Being on the cabinet has helped me believe in myself and to see that I am surrounded by incredible people who love me. I have never felt more special and I always felt we were making a difference together.”

Olsen encourages all interested freshmen to apply for a member position and warns them it will be a rigorous yet fun involvement opportunity.

“This is not the place to go if they are looking for something easy, but they will grow, make new friends, and have a lot of fun on the way,” Olsen said.

Applications can be found on the third floor of the Taggart Student Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment